Based New York City, NY
Search Firm Filcro Media Staffing
Officer in Charge Tony Filson
Search Group Broadcast Technology and Engineering
Reporting to VP Network Operations & Engineering
Search Link Director Distribution Broadcast Operations and Engineering
A diversified U.S. based global media and entertainment conglomerate with major television network, sports, cable TV, radio, motion picture, publishing, outdoor advertising, entertainment and media holdings. The firm operates media businesses globally and this search was relevant to all domestic and international distribution of their broadcast signals on multiple media platforms.
The Executive Search
Network Operations and Engineering Technology
The Vice President of Network Operations and Engineering was seeking a Director of Distribution with exceptional IT and broadcast technology skills. The Network's future plans for global distribution to stations, affiliates, MSO, SAT, OEM and wireless partners were some of the most ambitious in the industry.
CBS has a reputation for setting high technological standards in the industry and most “consumers” are aware of how CBS Sports uses cutting edge technology to make “game day” a unique experience globally. To assure that CBS Sports, News, Entertainment, Interactive and all components of content distribution, continued to lead the industry, The VP was seeking a Director who could become part of one of the most respected technology teams in “cutting edge” global broadcast distribution engineering technology.
Filcro Media Staffing had conducted previous searches for Manager, Director and VP level technology and engineering staff in the past and made the Network aware of an opportunity at a competitor that could be to the Network's advantage, while working on another engineering and information technology search.
Industry and Sector Inclusion For Search Universe
- Network Television Broadcasting - Engineering and IT
- Station Group(s) - Engineering and IT
- Cable Television Broadcasting - Engineering and IT
- MSO Distribution - Engineering and IT
- Radio Network Distribution - Engineering and IT
- Satellite Network Broadcasting - Engineering and IT
- Broadcast Engineering Integrators
- Broadcast Engineering Technology & Research Firms
Filcro Media Staffing Recruits TV Distribution Executives
The Filcro Media Staffing Officer in Charge of Search - Tony Filson (TF) identified, recruited and attracted the candidates to meet the following extensive criterion and high standards of CBS:
- Design, implement, and manage transmission plans for television events worldwide and guide IT project management for implementation.
- Supervise the installation of complex systems and software for remote broadcast and telecommunications facilities
- Evaluate the most cost effective, reliable, and appropriate method of transmission routes and services operating in a zero tolerance-for-defects environment.
- Hire, train, and manage IT and engineering technical personnel and transmission service providers.
- Generate detailed budgets and quotes and approve and monitor spends to ensure financial goals
- Execute technology-driven project management responsibilities for implementation and operations guidance
- Coordinate the analog to digital and High-Definition conversion of remote satellite backhaul and fiber optic transmissions; including cost analysis, vendor selection, equipment procurement, and integration.
- Manage fiber network connectivity between the Network, studio, and broadcast origination facilities.
- Work internal departments on installation, activation and maintenance of new and existing circuits.
- Manage Disaster Recovery plan fiber infrastructure.
- Manage the annual budget process for the operating, staff travel, IT, expense, and capital budget lines for the Transmission and Broadcast Operations departments.
- Track and report variances.
- Create, compile, organize, and analyze key technical data and operational trends.
- Provide business analysis, reports, and recommendations to improve business and operational efficiency.
- Assist with long term strategic planning and new technologies research, traffic and facilities scheduling, vendor negotiations, and staff training. Maintain long-term contracts database.
- Provide information and analysis in response to technical inquiries for the global fleet of satellites.
Challenges Facing The New Broadcasting Operations Director
- Locating resources internal and external to the organization and getting them to work in a cooperative manner, on time and on budget as cross-functional teams
- FCC Reporting
- Negotiating competitive business terms with IT vendors and clients
- Reviewing current operating expense statements, analyzing costs and developing new financial structures for technology
- Maintaining the accuracy of the delivery inventory (Fiber, Satellite, RF) and resources across multiple media platforms.
- Negotiating lease cancellations, subleases and contracts for idle delivery assets to be leveraged toward future delivery needs.
- Change management
- Advanced technology & engineering training
- Best practices and workflow optimization
- Advanced (IT) and (Broadcast) technology implementation that integrates all platforms globally
- New CODEC adaptation and development across multiple platforms
The Filcro Media Staffing Recruitment Solution
Filcro Media Staffing proceeded to Identify, recruit and attract a "best in the industry" broadcast operations and engineering executive who had worked in an advanced technology Network distribution environment for one of the Network’s closest competitors.
Filcro Media Staffing completed the search in much less time than alloted based on the firm’s extensive broadcast engineering executive search experience.
The executive has made a smooth transition to the new Network and has proven to be a valuable asset in the global distribution and advanced technology surrounding the organization's broadcast operations and engineering divisions.
Broadcasting Executive Search
The Technology Search Group