Senior Art Director Executive Search for Advanced Creative Media Technology
Senior Art Director
Online interactive properties, Print and off-line collaterals
Executive Search Firm | Filcro Media Staffing
Location | Portland, OR
Search Officer | Tony Filson
Practice Groups | Creative Services | Corp. Communications
Search | Senior Art Director Corporate Communications
Client | U.S. Multinational Media Firm
Reports to | Vice President of Corporate Communications
U.S. based multinational media organization utilizing technology and creative content to support:
- The Development of web-based online, mobile and print content for the Fortune 50-500 and PEG market initiatives for sophisticated corporate communications.
- Providing technology infrastructure and creative capacity to produce content across multiple media platforms for online, broadcast, print and interactive use.
- Sampling of clients
The organization required a Senior Art Director who would be responsible for the design of new projects on various web properties and publications globally as well as the additional tasks described below. Required was a hands-on creative executive to lead the international creative services group to design concepts, art and digital templates for multiple Fortune 50-500 properties.
- Design assets that can be reused in multiple templates across digital and print
- Create interactive creative tools utilizing Adobe Creative Suite to be shared in a LAN/WAN/SAN and CMS for collaborative workflow in multiple locations
- Create identities and brands for stand-alone online products and see them through production as well as their associated collaterals
- Create online promotional materials for the web sites and other corporate communications online products
- Design printed promotional pieces like posters, brochures, event invitations, press releases and multi-page documents
- Online & print design and production from conception to flight
- Build page templates for web site sections and microsites with in-house and client produced media
- Create interactive tools for web site sections in collaboration with IT and systems design staff for continuity of workflow in multiple locations
- Work within the CMS architecture to add new projects to the sites
- Help ensure usability, accessibility and creativity throughout the web sites with collaborative Adobe tools in the cloud
- Work with diverse clients to include: Advertising Agencies, Fortune 50-500, Media & Entertainment Conglomerates, Government Agencies, Educational Institutions and other with sophisticated domestic and international corporate communication needs in multiple languages.
- Use the content management system (CMS) to update the creative cloud web sites and the Client Corporate Communications sites based on the project
- Update content teasers and time sensitive stories on the home page daily
- Producing Annual Reports that engage investors, bankers and press
- Assist in pre-production planning of the annual reports
- Create complete ready-for-print design of Annual Reports
- The ability to produce materials in multiple languages for US, LATAM, EU, ASIA and MENA markets.
Executive Search Industry and Sector inclusion
- Digital, Print and Online Environments of the Fortune 50-500
- Advertising Agencies and PR Firms Devoted to Digital Media in Multiple Languages With Print Components
- Interactive Design & Technology Studios
- Corporate Design Environments in PEG Markets
- Corporate Communications & Public Relations Firms
- Art Departments of Multinational Broadcasters
Subsequent to Filcro Media Staffing Being Retained
The Filcro Media Staffing Officer in Charge Tony Filson participated in a number of phone conferences with the President and the senior most creative executive to establish the current and future objectives for the varied digital properties across each platform that this Sr. Art Director would be responsible for. The firm providing digital and print services to clients, need an Art Director that had well above average industry acumen with creative technology.
Filcro Media Staffing established the required skills and experience with a strong understanding of how graphic design principles like balance, color, hierarchy and typography needed to be applied across multiple sites. This mean was established for portfolio reviews in New York.
Also established were priorities for new media projects to engage users without slowing loading times offering experiences utilizing advanced CMS technology. A similar recruitment assignment with a TV Network allowed us to share CODEC information with the President and the head of IT that was implemented successfully. With a large multinational client SCALE was an important consideration.
Challenges Facing The Senior Art Director
- The ability to take ownership of a large inventory of design ideas from concept through production
- The ability to apply audience research to their design work utilizing accurate media metrics and analytics for qualitative and quantitative reporting
- Organizational, time management & workflow skills to direct multiple concurrent projects and meet projected deadlines
- Develop resources to offer proficiency in Dreamweaver and other Authoring software, Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator and the entire Adobe Suite of CC products used by the firm and their clients. Knowledge of legacy software for a large catalog / library of prior projects.
- The ability to manage the production, editing, and proofing of materials in multiple languages while maintaining cultural and corporate sensitivity to written and visual materials in US, LATAM, MENA, EU and ASIA markets.
The Filcro Media Staffing Solution
Filcro Media proceeded to Identify art directors with work and work histories that reflected the client’s goals from a business, creative and technical perspective.
Concentrating on (3) three domestic markets, based on previous recruitment experience proved successful. The client’s compensation budget, department size and creative culture were paramount to assuring longevity. Special consideration was given to the extremely high corporate and creative standards of the Fortune 50-500 clients.
The OIC wanted an Art Director who was familiar the type of work expected in some of the most respected corporate communications environments in the world. Filcro Media Staffing’s corporate communications recruitment experience was critical in recruiting the proper Art Director. Examples with FedEx and Prudential were utilized as the OIC had brought these searches to fruition too, for more senior level executives.
Every Art Director brought forward was currently employed and happily engaged. This search required a great deal of scrutiny to assure that each Art Director was not only a talented creative and creative technologist but also a well honed executive.
The client’s prior efforts to attract the right Art Director were frustrated by a number of issues that Filcro Media Staffing addressed at the beginning of the search. (3) Three Art Directors turned the job down or were eliminated, prior to Filcro Media Media Staffing being retained. One used the job offer to get a raise with their current employer. One misrepresented their portfolio and one decided after accepting the job not to relocate, one week before her start date. The firm had a deadline and needed us to take charge.
This was a challenging but rewarding search to complete.
Successful Senior Art Director Recruited
An Art Director who is a talented print designer, interactive designer, animator and video editor with numerous international awards. With over over ten years of current experience working for one of the most respected design firms in the United States, the firm services the Fortune 50-500 with noted and award winning digital and print campaigns globally.
He led large groups of artists, photographers, copywriters, media, web designers, technologists and associated support staff where he was a successful mentor and was always able to attract staff based on his reputation as someone creative professionals enjoy working for, and with.
The new Art Director had also taught graduate level classes in art direction, digital composition and video. His television, interactive and print work included clients such as IBM as well as those listed above, with reputations for corporate communications excellence.
The new Art Director fluent in French, Spanish and English was able to work across many international business projects and shorten turnaround based on strong writing skills in all three (3) languages. His work has been exhibited at International film, art and video Festivals, and his interactive work has been featured in the book portfolios, online, digital and graphic designers websites by noted artists as references to proper digital execution. The Art Director received his B.F.A. and M.F.A. with stellar academics.
The Art Director successfully attracted met all the goals and objectives of the client for the extensive web properties and print materials representing the highest standards of corporate communications for the Fortune 50-500.
Tony Filson was the officer in charge of this search.